Outside Chance: Explore Shore Fishing (With Some Fish Jokes on the Side)
Bonus: Learn how to cook up your own fresh catch.
Article by Kelsey Derby
On this week's installment of Outside Chance, our always-u-for-anything host Chance York takes to the lakes. He meets up with avid fisherman Xao Xiong to do some fishing (not to mention riffing on a plethora of fish jokes) and catches a couple of wild catfish in Lake City.
The two share some conversation and a wonderful Hmong meal with the catfish they just caught. If you liked what you saw, here's the (rough!) recipe to make this delicious meal at home. Reminder: Follow your instincts and add seasoning as you see fit. Enjoy!
Xao's Hmong Steamed Catfish
1-2 catfish (freshly caught preferred)
Green onions (roughly half cup)
Basil (roughly half cup)
Banana leaves (available at most Asian Markets)
Cooked rice to serve alongside
- Fillet the fish and cut it into small, bite-size pieces on a cutting board
- Chop basil and green onions
- Cover fish in olive oil and add basil and green onions
- Add chili powder, black pepper and salt, season to your heart’s content!
- Add fish mixture to a banana leaf, fold and secure
- Steam for 20-25 minutes until cooked through
- Serve with rice
Need more outdoor adventure inspiration? Watch other episodes of Outside Chance.
Production Team: Ismail Ali, Adam Geiger, Ezra Gold, Terry Gray, Luke Heikkila, Ryan Klabunde, Jon Van Amber, Chance York